Current Events - January 2013 - National Current Events
02. Setback to Modi as Supreme Court upholds governor's appointment of Lokayukta - RBI for tough measures to curb investments in gold.
03. CBSE to introduce Human Rights and Gender Studies as a subject in its curriculum from next academic year - M.K. Stalin nominated as his successor by M. Karunanidhi, DMK president - Pakistan beat India by 85 runs in the second 001 and win the 3 match series.
04. India's Mars mission to be launched in October.
05. Overseas Minister Vayalar Ravi discloses pension plans for NRls.
06. Work to begin in Ladakh on world'slargest solar telescope - India pull off a dramatic 10 - run win in the third 001 to avert a clean sweep by Pakistan.
08. Pak troops cross LOC, kill 2 Indian jawans - Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda resigns his post, recommends fresh polls.
09. Indian teenage star Suraj Sharma nominated for Bafta Rising Star award for his role in Life of Pi.
11. India lose the high scoring first 001 against England by 9 runs.
12. Swami Vivekananda's 150m birth anniversary fete begins in West Bengal. Indian Air Force chief expresses grave concern over Pak ceasefire violations.
14. Kerala nurses Vineetha and Remya are awarded Jeevan Raksha Pathak posthumously for saving lives in a Kolkata hospital fire.
15. India win the second 001 against England by 127 runs at Kochi to level the series 1-1.
17. Air India grounds all its Oreamliners pending confirmation of their air worthiness - Chinese author Zjao Jiang's first Tamil book makes debut at Chennai Book Fair.
18. President's rule imposed in Jharkhand - Supreme Court asks Centre to set up a special court to try the two Italian marines.
19. Rahul Gandhi appointed Congress Vice-president - India surge ahead 2-1 in the 001 series against England with a commanding 7 - wicket victory in the third 001 at Kochi.
20. Rahul Gandhi calls for sweeping changes in Congress and the government.
21. London-based Indian researcher Mahaveer Golechcha wins award for his work on Alzheimer's drug· U.S. arms sales to India in the last few years is worth $ 8 billion.
22. BJP President Nitin Gadkari forced to quit following income tax raid on his firms - Rajnath Singh is new BJP President.
23. Crisis in Karnataka as 13 BJP legislators withdraw support to Shettar government - Verma Commission against death penalty to rapists, proposes 10 years jail term.
24. Dalai Lama says India is a living example of secularism - Pakistan-American David Coleman Headly, mastermind of 2008 Mumbai terror attack, sentenced to 35 years in prison in USA.
25. 108 to receive Padma awards. Padma Vibhushan for physicist Yash Pal and space scientist Roddam.
26. Military might, cultural diversity showcased at the 64th Republic Day parade in Delhi. Support for Kamal Hassan film Vishwaroopam grows - Jeet Thayil wins DSC prize for South Asian Literature for his
debut novel Narcopolis.
27. India successfully test-fires K-15 missile with underwater missile launch capability - England earn a 7-wicket win over India in the fifth ODI to make it a 3-2 series victory for India.
28. India, Bangladesh sign extradition treaty and agreement to liberalise visa regime.
29. RBI cuts Repo and Cash Reserve rates.