Calender of Current Events - January 2014
1. India terminates the Rs. 3546-crore VVIP chopper deal with Agusta West land International Limited on grounds of breaching pre-contract integrity pact.
2. The Aam Aadmi Party of Arvind Kejriwal wins trust vote in Delhi with Congress support.
4. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh dedicates Kochi LNG terminal to the nation.
5. India joins 6-nation Space Club with the launch of GSLV-D5 with indigenously designed cryogenic engine.
7. The indigenously developed nuclear capable surface-to-surface Prithwi-II missile with a strike range of 350 km and capable of carrying warheads upto 1000 kgs test-fired from Odisha.
9. India-U.S. energy dialogue on hold as a fallout of the diplomatic row over the Devyani Khobragade episode.
12. India continues to be the world's largest arms importer with 65 of its military hardware imported from abroad.
13. IAAF awards the women's long jump gold of the 2005 World Athletic Championship to India's Anju Bobby George after the winner Tatyana Kotova of Russia was disqualified for doping • Aam Aadmi Party withdraws FDI in multi-brand retail in Delhi, the first state to do so.
16. Congress Working Committee decides not to nominate its Prime Ministerial candidate for the upcoming elections.
17. Legendary Actress SuchitraSen, well-known as the Greta Garbo of Bengali cinema dies at 82 • Sunanda Pushkar, 52, wife of Shasi Taroor,Union Minister of State for Human Resource Development, found dead in a New Delhi hospital.
20. India's nuclear-capable ballistic missile Agni-IV successfully test-fired making it ready for induction into the Army.
21. Supreme Court commutes death sentence of 15 prisoners following inordinate delay in the disposal of their pleas.
22. Reserve Bank decides to withdraw from circulation all currency notes issued before 2005, in an effort to curb currency hoarding and counterfeiting.
23. Harward University announces that Indian-origin scholar Rakesh Khurana, a Professor at Harward Development School, will be the Dean of the prestigious Harward School from July.
25. New Delhi summit between Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh of India and Shinzo Abe of Japan decide to enhance political and security ties.
26. India celebrates its 65th Republic Day showcasing its military might • Andhra Pradesh cop Prasad Babu, who died fighting Maoists, posthumously awarded Ashok Chakra on Republic Day • Twenty-one tourists die in a boat capsize near Port Blair, Andhaman.
28. India urges Pakistan to end trade deadlock on the Line of Control following the arrest of a Pakistani truck driver for allegedly carrying drugs.
29. A UNESCO report acknowledges the headway made by India in improving access to education but reveals India has 287 million adult illiterates, the largest in the globe.