Calendar of Current Events – August 2014
1. WTO talks fail as India remains firm on farm subsidy.
3. A report commissioned by the UPA government discloses that black money in India is to the tune of 75 per cent of the GDP.
4. In the face of agitation against the Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT), the government says that the English comprehension skills component of Paper II in the Civil Services (Prelims) should not be included in the gradation or merit.
7. A skeleton wearing a copper crown discovered in Bhagat district, Meerut suspected to be from Harappan era.
9. 270 Indians evacuated from restive Libya.
10. ISRO chairman K. Radhakrishnan discloses that Indian scientists are on course to sending the country's first manned flight to space.
11. Chief Justice of India R. M. Lodha strongly defends the collegium system of appointment of judges.
13. Lok Sabha passes the National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill to regulate the procedure of appointing Supreme Court and High Court judges.
15. Modi announces scrapping of the 64-year old Planning Commission of India in his Independence Day address from Red Fort.
16. Commissioning India's largest ever indigenous warship INS Kolkata, Prime Minister Narendra Modi says it would deter anyone from challenging India.
18. India calls off the Foreign Secretary level talks with Pakistan angered by Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit's decision to engage with Hurriyat leaders.
22. Supreme Court asks the Centre to decide the status of Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha by September 9 as Lokpal legislation cannot be put in cold storage.
23. Unprovoked firing on Indian security posts along the Line of Control in the Jammu sector by Pakistan troops kills two civilians and injures six.
25. The by-elections in 18 Assembly constituencies in Bihar, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka gives BJP a jolt as it won only 8 seats against the 10 won by the opposition.• British actor-director Richard Attenborough, who won wide acclaim and 8 Oscars for his dream movie Gandhi dies aged 90.
27. In a judgement the Supreme Court advises the Prime Minister and Chief Ministers of states not to induct persons against whom charges have been framed as ministers.
28. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches the Pradhan Mantr: Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) which will open 1.5 crore bank accounts across the country.
29. India will not review its nuclear doctrine adopted during the first NDA govt, says Modi.
30. Indian city Varanasi and Japanese city Kyoto sign a heritage pact.