1. Residuary Andhra state faces a whopping Rs.15,000 crore revenue deficit.
2. Telangana is born as India's 29th state with K Chandrasekhara Rao, the chief architect of Telangana agitation, as its first CM.
3. Union Rural Development minister Gopinath Munde killed in a car accident, a week after Narendra Modi government was sworn in.
5. Russia's move to directly supply MI-3 G helicopters to Pakistan worries India.
6. BJP leader Sumitra Mahajan unanimously elected Lok Sabha Speaker.
7. The first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project reaches its full Sumitra Mahajan power generation capacity of 1000 MW and becomes the single largest power generating unit in the country.
8. Telugu Desam Party president N. Chandrababu Naidu sworn in as the first Chief Minister of new Andhra Pradesh.
9. President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the first joint sitting of both Houses of Parliament reflects Modi's vision of new India with economic revival as priority.
12. The Narmada Authority gives Its nod to Gujarat for raising the height of the Narmada dam to its full reservoir level of 138.72 metres.• Vishal Sikka, former board member of German major SAP, appointed the new Infosys CEO.
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi writes to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that he looks forward to engaging
with Pakistan in an atmosphere free from confrontation and violence.
15. Defence Minister Arun Jaitley admits that AI-Qaeda's Kashmir-related video is a threat but asserts it will not cow down the people or security forces of the country.
17. Congress governors resist NDA government's attempt to replace them with NDA nominees.
18. ISIS militants abduct 40 Indian men working in a construction company in Iraq.
19. Ten Indian institutions of higher education make it to the top 100 ranking universities of Asia in the Times higher education list.
20. Government announces an unprecedented railway passenger fare hike of 14.2 per cent. • Government clarifies that the directive to use Hindi in government communications applies only to Hind speaking states.
21. In the wake of countrywide protests Finance Minister Arun Jaitely defends railway fare hike.
22. India ratifies IAEA Additional Protocol making itself more open to nuclear inspections; clears docks for more nuclear
imports. • Switzerland to share list of Indian account holders with India.
23. Sugar prices soar as the government decides to increase its import duty.
24. Law and Justice Minister Ravi Shanker Prasad says his ministry is working to provide single window clearance
to projects. • 17 Indians evacuated from conflict zone in Iraq.
26. Prime Minister Narendra Modi urges states to set up special courts for speedy trial of hoarders and black marketers.
27. GAIL-operated pipeline explosion in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh kills at least 15.
28. India reiterates that Arunachal Pradesh is its integral part after Beijing's new map depicts its claims on the state.
29. Following Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi Soon's recent New Delhi visit, China invites India to participate in the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
30. India launches PSLV-C23 satellite from Sriharikota carrying 5 foreign satellites