Calendar of Current Events – May 2014
1. Twin blasts in a train in Chennai central railway station kills a woman and injures 14.
2. Bodo militants kill 32 - all Muslim migrants - and torch 100 houses in the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD)
3. Divyanshu Ganatra, 36, undertakes a solo paragliding flight near Pune to become the first visually challenged Indian to achieve the feat.
4. An air-to-air Indian missile - Astra with a 60-km rage - testfired for the first time from a fighter aircraft
6. Supreme Court declares the imposition of mother tongue as the medium of instruction in primary classes unconstitutional.
7. Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Robin Kumar Dhowan announces that the newly inducted aircraft carrier I.NS Vikramaditya is now operationally deployed.
8. CBI undertakes in Supreme Court that it will not close the coal block allocation scam.
9. Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Janarthana Reddy passes away. • Supreme Court orders CBI probe into the Sarada chit fund scam connecting over Rs.10,000 crore.
10. Trivandrum Airport receives top rating for airport services in the last three months from Airport Council International.
13. Stock markets continue to rally and the rupee surges in anticipation of election results
14. New Indian Mujahideen suspected to be behind the twin May 1 blasts on the Bangalore-Guwahati express train.
16. Narendra Modi leads BJP for a single party majority in the 16th general elections of India, for the first time since 1984.
18. Statistics reveal that BJP won 282 Lok Sabha seats with a share of just 31% of votes, the lowest vote share for winning more than half the seats.
21. Intelligence sources warn that Indian Islamist groups are planning a fresh round of attacks in India.
22. Narendra Modi raises row over invitations to SAARC heads to attend his swearing in ceremony.
23. Malawath Puma, a 13-year old tribal student from Andhra Pradesh creates history by becoming the youngest girl in the world to climb Mount Everest.
26. Narendra Damodardas Modi sworn in as India's 15th Prime Minister along with 44 members of his Council of Ministers.
27. Prime Minister Modi presses Paki- stan Prime Minister Nawaz Shariff on terrorism, pushes Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa to deliver on promises to Sri Lankan Tamils.
28. Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdella asserts that Article 370 of the Indian Constitution granting special status to Kashmir cannot be abrogated.
31. Modi abolishes Groups of Ministers (GoPs) and Empowered Groups of Ministers (EGoMs) to ensure more accountability and empowerment.