Calendar of Current Events – September 2014
1. Japan pledges to invest Rs.2.1 lakh crore in a wide spectrum of projects in India over five years during deliberations between visiting Indian Prime Minister Na-
rendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe.
2. India wrap up the five-match ODI cricket series with England winning the 4th ODI at Edgbaston by 9 wickets and thereby taking an unassailable 3-0 lead.
3. Lokpal search committee given freedom to shortlist and recommend names indpendently for selection of chairman and members of the anti-corruption body.
4. The Union Home Ministry sounds an alert as AI-Oaeda chief announces the formation of an Indian wing to open operations in the subcontinent.
5. India signs a civil nuclear agreement with Australia in a major step to realise its nuclear energy ambitions.
6. Aiaz Sheikh, a suspected Indian Mujahideen operative, arrested by the Delhi Police Special Cell.
7. Rescue operations to evacuate thousands of people stranded in flood-ravaged Jammu and Kashmir are in full swing.
8. The Supreme Court tells CBI Director Ranjit Singh that allegations against him that he frequently met accused persons in the 2G Spectrum case are serious.
9. Kolkata born British author Neel Mukherjee's latest novel ‘The Lives of Others’, set in troubled West Bengal of the 1960s, shortlisted for the prestigious Booker Pri2e 2014, in its debut year as a global literary award.
10. BJP President Amit Shah is charged with creating enmity between religions for an allegedly inflammatory speech in Mussafarnagar dur- ing the Lok Sabha
12. India's stand that the implementation of the Trade Facilitation Agreement be kept pending unless India's apprehensions on food security are addressed gets support from developed nations at the WTO.
14. Over 1.84 lakh people stranded in the flood-hit areas of Jammu and Kashmir have been rescued so far by the Armed Forces and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
15. India accuses Pakistan of not bringing Hafiz Said, mastermind of 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack, to justice. • India and Vietnam call for freedom of navigation in the disputed South China Sea.
16. Setback to BJP in the by-elections in its strongholds of UP, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
17. Two agreements and one MoU signed between India and China on the first day of Chinese President Xi Jinping's 3-day visit to India.
18. India raises concern over the ongoing standoff at the LOC in Ladakh to the visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping.
19. A trade agreement for the next five years, chinese-style industrial cities to be built in India and multiplying Chinese investments in India 40-fold are among the positives of the Indian visit of Chinese President Xi Jingping.
22. Entry norms for IITs relaxed, students with 75 in class XII will also be eligible.
24. ISRO's Mars orbiter Mangalyaan becomes the first spacecraft to enter Martian orbit in maiden attempt.
30. Prime Minister Narendra Modi an d President Barack Obama unveil a Joint road map for India-US ties with the theme 'forward together we go'.