Calendar of World Current Events – August 2014
1. British Prime Minister David Cameron announces a £300 million genome research project that promises to transform the way cancer and other genetic diseases are diagnosed and treated; Six killed and hundreds injured as a 5.6 magnitude earthquake hits Algiers, capital of Algeria.
4. The 11-day Commonwealth Games, 2014 ends in Glasgow with a colourful, upbeat closing ceremony.
5. A 72-hour truce takes hold in the Gaza strip as Israel withdraws ground troops after a month of bitter fighting.
6. As a US general is killed by an Afghan officer, Washington's Afghan exit strategy will now focus on training the Afghan military to take on the Taliban.
7. A fast-spreading ebola epidemic sparks state of emergency in West African nations as death tolls nears 1000.
8. President Barack Obama authorises a two-pronged military intervention in Iraq.
9. China vows clear and firm reactions to defend its interests in South China Sea.
10. Typhoon Halong slams into western Japan leaving dozens injured.
11. Haidar al-Abadi nominated as Iraq's new Premier by Iraqi parliament's Shia bloc.
13. Iranian-born mathematician, Maryam Mirakhani, professor at Stanford university, California becomes the first woman to win the prestigious Fields Medal, widely viewed as the Nobel of mathematics.
15. Washington urges Moscow to stop its extremely dangerous and provocative action in Ukraine.
17. Kurdish fighters backed by US war planes push back Jihadists around Iraq's largest dam - Mosul dam.
18. Pakistan opposition leader Imran Khan and firebrand cleric Tahir-ul--Qadri turn down offer of talks from Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as anti-government protests move to a fourth day.
20. Beheading of US journalist James Folley by the jihadists of the Islamic State (is) in retaliation of US air strikes in Iraq sparks global outrage.
22. Shia militants gun down 70 people at an Iraqi Sunni mosque in an apparent revenge attack.
24. China executes 8 for "terrorist attacks" including the two who masterminded a suicide car crash in Beijing's Tinanmen Square in 2013.
25. Teheran says it will accelerate arming Palestinians in retaliation for Israel deploying a spy drone 0ver Iran, which was shot down.
27. Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif rejects demands for his resignation as opposition leader Imran Khan calls off dialogue with the regime.
28. Russia accused of "invasion" as fears of a direct confrontation between Ukraine and Russia looms large.
30. Lesotho Prime Minister Tom Tabane flees after soldiers seize power in a coup.
31. Top brass of Pakistan Army discuss the country's political crisis.