Calendar of World Current Events – March 2014
1. Russia's parliament approves use of force in Ukraine.
2. China promises tough punishment for Xingiang separatists who killed 29 people in an unprecedented train station rampage on March 1.
3. Twelve Years A Slave wins Oscar for best picture; Space thriller Gravity is top prize winner with 7 Oscars.
6. Rebellious Crimea says it wants to secede from Ukraine and join Russia.
8. A Beijing-bound Malaysian jet disappears over China Sea, crash feared as oil slick is sighted in sea.
9. Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea as US considers military option.
10. More than two days of search for the missing Malaysian jet with 239 people on board en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur yields no results.
12. G-7 warns Russia against splitting Ukraine.
13. The special court trying former Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf for high treason summons him for indictment.
15. A French court sentences former Rwandan army captain Pascal Simbikangwa to 25 years in prison over the 1994 genocide.
18. Russia, Crimea sign treaty on Crimea's accession to Russia.
19. The National Security Agency of USA develops a surveillance system that can record 100 per cent of a country's telephone calls.
20. Ukraine scraps ties with Russia over Crimea.
21. President Vladimir Putin signs into law Crimea's accession to Russia.
22. China says its satellites have spotted debris possibly linked to the missing Malaysian Airlines plane.
23. Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen's party, Progressive Party of Maldives, secures majority in parliament with coalition partners' support.
24. 529 supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsy sentenced to death after a mass trial in Egypt.
25. The G8 group of top economic powers suspends Russia for annexing Crimea and scraps the G8 summit to be hosted by Sochi, Russia in June.
26. A New York jury finds Osama bin Laden's son-in-law and former AI-Qaeda spokesman Suleiman Abu Ghaith guilty of conspiracy to kill American citizens and
27. The UN Human Rights Council votes for Sri Lanka war crimes probe; India abstains.
28. Former Norwegian premier Jens Stoltenburg named next NATO Chief, to assume office from October 1,2014.
30. North Korea threatens UN with a 'new kind of nuclear test' after UN Security Council condemned the country's recent ballistic missile launch.
31. North Korea and South Korea fire hundreds of artillery shells to each other's waters in a flare-up of animosity.