First Indian in Various Field – Record List - 1
Awards and Honours:
- First Indian to win Nobel Prize for Chemistry – Ramakrishnan Venkatraman (2009)
- First Indian to win Nobel Prize in Literature – Rabindranath Tagore (1913). He was also the First Asian to get the Prize.
- First Indian woman to win a Grammy – Tanvi Sha (2010), for the Spanish version of the lyric “Jai Ho” of the Oscar winning film Slum Dog Millionaire.
- First Indian to win two Grammies in a year – A.R.Rahman (2010), for his foot taping number Jai Ho and outstanding sound track for the film Slum Dog Millionaire.
- First Indian to win Booker Prize – Arundhati Rai (1997), for the God of Small Things.
- First Indians to win Bartha Ratna – Dr.S.Radhakrishnan, C.Rajagopalachari and Dr.C.V.Raman (1954).
- First woman from India to win Nobel Prize – Mother Theresa (1979), peace prize.
- First Indian woman featured in Postal Stamp – Meera Bhai (1952).
- First Indian to be the Miss-World – Reita Faria (1966 Nov 17).
First in Transport and Vehicles:
- First Indian Automobiles Company to produce one lakh commercial vehicle in a financial year – Tata Motors (2011 Mar)
- First seaplane service in India – Operated jointly by the Andaman Nicobar Administration and the Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd (2010).
- First marina in India – Kochin (2010).
- First state in India to start Airlines of its own – Uttar Prades (1995).
- First Indian woman commercial pilot Durba Banerjee, Indian Airlines (1966).
- First International flight in by Air India – Bombay to London by the Aircraft Malabar Princess (1948).
- First Indian to become a Pilot – J.R.D.Tata, Tata Airlines (1929).
- First Indian automobiles company to cross the production mark of one crore cars – Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (2011).
- First Indian electric car – Reva, a battery operated car developed by Chetan Maine (1997).
- First car factory in India – the plant established in Mumbai by General Motors to assemble cars and trucks using imported parts (1928).
- First High Way in India – Grant Trunk Road (1540).
- First car registered in India – De Dion Bouton, imported from France by the Maharaj of Patiala (1892).
- First Maruti car owner – Harpal Singh, Delhi (1984).
- First Indian train fueled by biodiesel – Delhi to Amritsar Express. It used a fuel mixed with 5% biodiesel (2002).
- First interstate metro railway in India – Delhi Metro Railway, it extent to UP through the Yemuna Bank-Noida reach (2009).
- First super-fast passenger train in India – Howrah New Delhi Rajdhani Express (1969).
- First green railway station in India – Manwal Railway Station on the Jammu to Udhampur route (2011).
- First Indian Passenger Train to Bangladesh – Maitree Express from Kolkata to Dhaka (2008).
- First private port in India – Pipavav Port in Gujarat (1996).
- First railway station in India - Boribunder, Now it is known as Mumbai CST (1853).
- First hill railway in India – Darjeeling Himalayan Railway(DHR). The train in this route are powered by steam engines (1881).
- First Internationall Container Transshipment Terminal in India – Vallarpadam International Container Transshipment Terminal, Kochi (2011).
- First national waterways in India – NW1, Allahabad-Haldia stretch of Ganga-Bhagirathi-Hoogly river systems (1986)
First in Adventure:
- First Indian Naval ship to circumnavigate the globe – INS Tarangini. It called at thirty seven ports in eighteen countries covering 34,923 nautical miles (from Jan 23 2003 to April 25 2004).
- First Indian to circumnavigate the globe solo no a sailboat – Commander Dilip Donde, a Naval officer (2009 Aug to 2010 May).
- First Indian woman to ski to the SouthPole – Reena Kaushal. She was part of the eight woman commonwealth team that crossed a 900 kilometers Antarctic ice trek to reach South Pole to mark the sixtieth anniversary of the formation of commonwealth.
- First Indian female to summit Mount Everest – Bachendiri Paal. She was fifth woman in the world to achieve this (1984 May 23).
- First Indian Woman to swim across seven seas of the world – Bulaa Choudhary. She was the first Indian woman to cross English Channel twice (2004).
- First Indian woman to reach Antarctica – Mehar Moos (1976).
First Indian in Science and Technology:
- First cloned Buffalo calf in India – Sam Rupa (2009).
- First Indian Research station in the Arctic – Himadri. It will carry out research in present fields of Arctic Science with special importance on climate change (2008).
- First Indian in Space – Rakesh Sharma, aboard Salyut7 (1984).
- First Indian (origin) woman in Space – Kalpana Chawla aboard space Shuttle Columbia flight STS-87. She was naturalized US citizen and representing the US during the event (19197 Nov 19).
- First successful Heart transplant in India – by Dr.P.Venugopal, AIIMs, New Delhi, on Dev Ram a mechanic (1994 Aug).
- First Indian Test Tube baby – Harsha, at KEM hospital, Mumbai, Indhira Induja was the Doctor (1986).
First Indian in Literature and Media:
- First Government organization in India to be on the social networking site Twitter – Department of Posts (2010 May).
- First talking newspaper in India (world) – A special issue of The Hindu, issued in Mumbai to introduce the Vento, Volkswagen’ premium entry level sedan car in India (2010).
- First golden stamp replicas issued by the Postal Department – ‘The Pride of India Collection’ a set of 25 classic stamp replicas struck on pure Swiss silver and layered with 24 carat gold (2010).
- First Indian City to introduce the mobile phone service – Kolkata (1995 July).